artists! reblog and show me how you sketch!
Don’t show me how you finish, show me where you begin and don’t take it any farther than that.
This is how I’d, ideally, like to sketch. Sometimes I go from “loose” to just inking, but I’ve found good results planning out what I draw, but trying to keep it free and think with the drawing.
So please! Reblog and talk about your sketching process/share your sketches.
when i draw stuff i pretty much have to have some kind of pose in mind or else it’ll look really stiff because it’s obvious i drew a head and slapped on a body. but that’s how i go about full body sketches i guess!!
(laughs what a stupid drawing)
i do everything on one layer. i don’t do any cool wireframes or anything, just a lot of erasing and carving
I have two different sketching methods - or maybe I should say, two ways of doing things, which I combine as necessary, though I have tried to show them separately here.
The first way is the familiar wire frame. Though I’m gonna break the magic here and say I never really draw the whole frame like that, I build things up unevenly, often I’ll only draw the parts of the wire frame necessary to know what in heck I’m doing, working from wireframe up to the second part in an organic manner without a clear “okay done with wireframe now I start the rough sketch” line between the two, so often my sketches look like bizarre blobs of whatsit.
The second way I basically draw a silhouette and carve out the inside. I tend to do this primarily for thin shapes, like limbs, fingers, trees and branches, and unnaturally skinny characters like my Dryads. I’m still thinking in my head about the dimensional shapes I’m thinking about when I do the frame, but I just make the shapes instead of using lines to describe it.
That’s also basically how I do anything that’s big flat color shapes without lines, but that I turn off the opacity variance so it’s harder to explain what I’m doing with that.
Similar idea though. Drawing blobs like what I want and then refining the blobs down to the right shape. But rather than carving the shape out into lines like before, I refine through the addition of more colors and trying to make the image out of shapes like that. I’m probably not making any sense sorry.
You can see my sketching in video form here. Not the lineless style. I haven’t caught myself starting and finishing anything in the lineless style on livestream yet.
- thatfuckingswimminganime reblogged this from smilingsollux
- roxaslalonde likes this
- spicyslug likes this
- amrylia reblogged this from ametzy and added:
- ametzy reblogged this from ambrister and added:
- from-the-grey-fortress likes this
- tehflah likes this
- rabidbunnie likes this
- jonathonfjord reblogged this from rosefairies and added:
- senya0u0 likes this
- askgrimmgrennian likes this
- paigeincapacitated likes this
- chantalim reblogged this from ambrister
- jagedflower888 reblogged this from ambrister
- jagedflower888 likes this
- dragie reblogged this from murder--doll
- smilingscrewloose likes this
- askroughsketch likes this
- 4leafclo likes this
- murder--doll reblogged this from cats-cafe and added:
- fiddlemod likes this
- hobbsmeerkat likes this
- zombie-prince likes this
- zombie-prince reblogged this from cats-cafe
- cats-cafe reblogged this from ambrister and added:
- faygotronics reblogged this from burrito-john and added:
- probablynotacat likes this
- ajsexual likes this
- chrisytopher likes this
- chrisytopher reblogged this from ambrister
- husbando-kun likes this
- toccata-carpimusnoctem reblogged this from headphone4clock
- goldstarchili likes this
- cthulhu likes this
- banana-tardis reblogged this from floral-fish-fins
- willahelm likes this
- wrannasue likes this
- zealoussharpie reblogged this from ambrister
- xenon-xi likes this
- princeofcat reblogged this from ambrister
- theincredibleinedablezan likes this
- canonicallycaucasian likes this
- sloth-sass likes this
- artisticbard likes this
- miss-godtier-bluebox likes this
- windbyte likes this
- akuromi likes this
- burrito-john reblogged this from ambrister
- airiegbert likes this
- too-many-mints likes this